So I don't think I am going to use this blog for a typical "this is what happened to me today and here's what I think about it" site. Trust me, I love reading all the interesting stories that happen to my friends through their blogs. But I couldn't do that. I would bore people literally to death if I wrote about what I was going through. So instead I am going to it to put up excerpts from stories I am writing. I can make pretend stories way more fun than my life- at least I hope I can. Funny thing is I am not an English major. I am actually seeking a doctorate in physical therapy, which is basically the opposite from anything dealing with literature. (Ok, aside from all the research papers and such.)
A few years ago, I took children's literature at UTA and fell completely in love with the subject. This probably happened for a number of reasons including the facts that the subject material was about 2nd grade level and the professor is completely incredible! She is by far my favorite teacher ever. And it made a huge impact in my life when she complimented my writing. I proceeded to take two advanced lit classes from her and seriously loved every second of it- including homework time. She has a way of bringing out the best in every student and making all the massive amounts of homework and research seem fun- without using any drugs. So thanks to her, I knew I wanted to write children's stories- specifically for young adults.
However, there was one thing that bothered me. Most of the young adult stories out there were littered with info that I didn't learn until college. I am a Christian and was probably raised rather sheltered compared to some, but all that aside, I was still slightly appalled by some of the adult content in these young adult novels. I decided while in ENGL 4366 that I'd write young adult stories that are clean. Ones that teens who have grown up sheltered aren't embarrassed to read or recommend. I want there to be more fiction literature out there for Christian teens. My goal is to supply a little to advance this.
Now, don't get me wrong. There will be conflict, there will be sin, and there will be content that is very young adult. I don't think it is right to hide the truth from teens because they are going to find out what they want to know one way or another. But the difference I will include in these stories is the characters can always overcome these disturbing obstacles. I want to give the readers hope and reassurance for times when they themselves are experiencing similar situations.
So that is what this blog will be. Just little bits of whatever I am writing or thinking in my head. And I am going to warn you: I hate proof reading my own work and I have been called a creative speller.
No comments:
Post a Comment